It’s the end of the month and it’s time to recap crazy jewelry stories that happened in June from all over the world. This top 11 list features spectacular jewelry sales, rare gem finds, and contests.
8. On June 22nd, the Bonhams Fine Jewelry sale took place in New York, will a total sale of $3.8 million in jewels. $1.2 million of that went towards a stunning 79.2 carat triple-x cut diamond necklace, which featured 52 round brilliant-cut diamonds.
7. Mining company Gemfields has uncovered a rare matching pair of rough rubies from their Montepuez ruby mine in Mozambique. The pair totals 45 carats and were auctioned off at Gemfields’ auction in Singapore June 22nd.
6. CPAA Announced the Sixth International Pearl Design Competition of 2015–2016. Artists of all levels are invited to design digitally, paint, sketch, or draw their best pearl design — if they win, they must make it. Entries are accepted through September 17th, with a winner being chosen November 2nd.
5. First there was the smart phone, then the smart TV, then the smart watch, and now, thanks to British company Altruis, we have the smart jewelry. The Altruis “stone contains a specially developed electronic circuit board, which has a rechargeable battery, Bluetooth Smart (so the stone can wirelessly connect to your smartphone), a vibration motor and sensors,” says the company website. The company makes bracelets, rings, and pendant necklaces that range from $300 to $590.
4. Watches are getting smarter, too. Breitling has created a new line of ‘Emergency’ wristwatches, which use a dual frequency locator beacon. These watches are now sold in the U.S. and will become an essential survival tool for extreme missions people may undergo.
3. Ponzi schemer Bernie Madoff’s brother and niece, Peter and Shana Madoff, are selling their 420 assets that’s held by the U.S. Marshal. The most notable item is a 9.03-carat, G, VS, Asscher-cut platinum diamond ring (pictured below) that has a bidding starting price at $$327,250.
2. On July 29th a tourist visiting Crater of Diamonds State Park in Arkansas found the fourth largest recorded rough diamond. Named the “Esperanza,” it weighs 8.52 carats, which pales in comparison to “Uncle Sam,” a 40.23 carat diamond discovered in 1924.
1. Janet Jackson announced that she will be creating a diamond jewelry line called, “Janet Jackson Unbreakable Diamonds Collection.” Just days ago she wore some of the collection’s pieces at the BET Awards, including a 25 carat, $2 million heart shaped yellow diamond pendant necklace and a 13-karat ring which retails at $500,000 .
Allurez is the premier designer and retailer of high quality fine jewelry with a brand name known to royals as well as to the rich and famous. We are committed to providing you with the largest and the finest selection of engagement rings, wedding bands, bridal jewelry, fine fashion jewelry, and certified loose diamonds. Go ahead, browse our store, and find your perfect jewel!